Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Works for me Wednesday - kids responsibility

Works for Me Wednesday at Shannons

Teaching kids responsibility is an ongoing process. Something that we had a problem with is our kids have gameboys, they have small little games....I was finding these games everywhere.

New rule...

I find a game (also can use this for other items)....then it becomes my game.....if they want it back they have to work for it...I will put a different amount depending on the lack of responsibility. Britt may have to put away all the laundry that day to earn her game back, or she may have to dust my baseboards, etc. I try to make it something that they don't want to do, or I may just make them pay me a $1.00 (or more) which they really don't like.

Bottom line before throwing that game aside or that item aside next time, they think to put it in the right place to save themselves from having to buy their item back.

5 comments:

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Great idea! We've been dealing with this exact issue with our 7 YO. Time for some hard lessons for this boy!

BarnGoddess said...

very good idea.

I am tired of nagging my 13 yo to do his chores...he LOVES money and looks after his own money pretty good. I think Ill start charging him $1 for every chore he 'forgot' to do...

Unknown said...

yeah cause I don't know about those games but the leapster games we have are 24 each, unless we are lucky enough to find them on sale but still. We don't even let the kids have them from Sunday night until Friday. They can play them or the computer friday through sunday morning then the week is devoted to school work and keeping their rooms clean (insert laugh here) If we happen to find a game laying there and not in the carry bag they loose the game system for the weekend. They hate that.

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Our kids are likely older than yours...but they do pushups to retrieve left out items! Not only do we have that problem less frequently, but all of our kids do pushups I'm sure any drill sergeant would approve of!

Kelley said...

I like this idea too. Reality discipline - natural consequences to their actions is always most effective, I think.