Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday (Helping kids learn spelling words)

My kids love to practic their spelling words! Love it! I should say now they love it, back when I was just trying to get them to write them and recite them we got no where fast.

Some of the things we now do to learn our spelling words:

Write them, but not just on paper we use Brittney's doodle bear and Braden has a doodle monster that are often covered in new words (just throw them in the washer for the next weeks words). We use windo markers by crayola and they can write on the glass door front or back (it just takes a windex wipe to clean it off quickly). They can write them on their bedroom windows.

Play hangman on a big white board alternating Britt's words then Braden's.

Play Mother May I spelling. I stand at one end of the hall they start at the other. They only get to take a step forward if they spell the word I give them correctly.

Spelling baseball, set up bases in the living room and to get to each base they have to spell their word correctly.

We do also write them on paper and do word searches and things like that but I always try to put a fun activitiy with it. They may write their words 4 times and then we play baseball. Sometimes they will write their words on the front door or doodle bear then sit and do a word search.

Repetitiveness helps them learn but adding in the fun helps them enjoy the learning.

More Works For Me Wednesdays at Shannon's

5 comments:

Unknown said...

doodle bears I don't think I have even heard of them lol

BarnGoddess_01 said...

I have not heard of doodle bears in ages! I did see the doodle monsters when I was Xmas shopping tho

Anonymous said...

I love these ideas. Thank you for giving a homeschooling mom some new tricks up her sleeve. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

What neat ideas. You are just so creative. Thanks!

Mama C-ta said...

Great ideas!