Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I am

Owl Haven is doing a writing contest. I absolutely loved the formats she had to choose from. I am going to use the "I am From" format for a writing lesson with Brittney. I chose the "I am" format for a guideline.

I Am

I am the baby born in Dumas, Texas delivered by the same doctor who had delivered my father 25 years earlier. I am the baby of a military dad and a stay at home mom. I am the baby who once slept in a dresser drawer because the military housing was unavailable and the temporary quarters were too small to accomodate a crib.

I am the child who played with kids who spoke no english but didn't care. I am the child who could speak German by the time she was eight. I am the child who was forced outside because otherwise I would just read and draw. I am the child who loved my parents and knew that something wasn't quite right and that I wasn't getting the anticipated brother or sister. I am the child who welcomed the little boy that did make it. I am the child that can still remember the night her brother was born. I am the child who dreamed of being an artist and traveling the world. I am the child that never wanted to be a mommy or a wife and if I ever did become a wife I most certainly would not take my husband's name.

I am the teenager who used no hairspray because it was bad for the enviroment. Who still said she would never marry and even if I did I most certainly would not take my husband's name. I am the teenager who loved to cruise town with my friends and bought cassette tapes with my money. I am the teenager who dreamed of being an artist and a fashion designer and who knew she would never marry or become a mom.

I am the woman who has loved, who has lost, who has experienced happiness and grief. I am the woman who is proud to have my husbands name. I am the mother who thanks God for my blessings everyday. I am the mother that prays daily for her children. I am the mother who cries as she realizes what the doctor has told her about her son. I am the mother that thanks God that there is a treatment. I am the mother that imagines my childrens future testimonies. I am the mother who homeschools. I am the mother who probably knows as much about the human brain, and abnormal masses as some doctors. I am the mother that loves to hear her daughter sing even if it is off key. I am the mother who has loved, who has grieved, who prays, and who believes that the most important thing is that my children walk in the truth.

I am the woman who is a perfectionist. I am the woman who tries to let things go and be more flowing. I am the woman who cares if the cabinets are organized, but care more about the time I have with my husband and kids. I am the friend that has a hard time saying no. I am the person who volunteers even when I know I don't have the time. I am the person that knows I have much to learn in my walk as a mother, wife, daughter, sister, niece, friend and most of all a child of God. I am the woman who still loves to draw and paint. I am the woman who loves to redesign my kids rooms. I am the mother and wife that no longers yearns to be an artist or to travel the world. Instead I am the wife and mother that wants to do art projects with her kids, and travel with my family.

I am the person who dreams of her children, her grandchildren, of being old and gray and beside my husband. I am the person is who grateful to God for his blessings, even those that I don't understand, even those that to my flesh seem harsh. I am the person who strives to remain faithful to the Lord. I am the child, the teenager, the wife, the mother, and I contine to grow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading these. We are all so different!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am both honored and blessed to know you. I admire you every day, and that is the truth.

Unknown said...

wow I will have to try something like that and see what I can come up with. Yours was amazing and I hope you print it out for one of your scrapbooks

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! I am amazed at your outlook on life.....I'm so glad to have "met you in this world of blogging".

BarnGoddess_01 said...

beautiful! very well written. I found out a lot about you from that one post than from the many posts Ive read here.

good job

Lana said...

oh, that was really nice!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kel...what an amazing post! I may attempt to do the same.

Melissa said...

that was so wonderful to read Kelli! You are a blessing!!

Melissa

owlhaven said...

Kel, This was beautiful. Loved the bit about the hairspray. I'm afraid I used enough for you and me both!

Hugs

Mary