Thursday, February 19, 2009

Love Dare days 1-4

I am going to share in more detail the Love Dare program. But I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting the book. I think Sams Club Warehouse sells it for around $9.00. We each have our own so that we can write in the journal spaces. I am just paraphrasing as there are about 3 pages to read for each day and then a paragraph of summary for each day.

Day 1: LOVE IS PATIENT - For the next day, resolve to demonstrate patience and to say nothing negative to your spouse at all. If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything. It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret. (I was shocked at how many times I caught myself just going to "correct" something he did, or smart off...eeek not proud of that and wow I am on day 5 of really weighing the words and I can tell a difference in both of us.)

Day 2: LOVE IS KIND - In addition to saying nothing negative to your spouse again today, do at least one unexpected gesture as an act of kindness. (This day started getting fun for us both we liked finding something to do. Hubby cleaned my car, which really needed it. I brought him a Hershey bar and a coke back to the office, and a shoulder rub)

Day 3: LOVE IS NOT SELFISH - Whatever you put your time, energy, and money into will become more important to you. It's hard to care for something you are not investing in. Along with restraining from negative comments, buy your spouse something that says, "I was thinking of you today". (Hubby loves a certain Bible Archeology Magazine but he says it is too much to put out so I ordered that for him and sent him an email with a poem in it (poems are so not me normally). He surprised me with a book I had been wanting and a Green Tea Frap from Starbucks. Little things but meant a lot.)

DAY 4: LOVE IS THOUGHTFUL - Contact your spouse sometime during the business day. Have no agenda other than asking how he or she is doing and if there is anything you could do for them. (We do this quite often anyway, all the time though you are still refraining from any negative comments. We shared when I would have said something negative and both laughed at how silly the things were.)

1 comments:

Life at the Lake said...

Kelli thanks so much for posting about this. Sunday is our 24th anniversary and now I know what I want to do!! This book fits nicely with what I had in mind : )