Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Jesse Tree

Last year I had read on the blog Rocks in My Dryer about the Jesse Tree, I hadn't heard of it before. I didn't get it started last year but we have this year and I love it.

What is a Jesse Tree? It's a way of celebrating the Advent season that addresses, in particular, how the Old Testament stories all pointed to the coming of Christ.

Where does the name come from? Isaiah 11:1-2

How does it work? There are so many ways, some use a branch, some an actual small Christmas Tree, we did ours with a piece of green poster board in our school room and just glue our ornaments on. Each day you read a different Old Testament story corresponding to each story is a small ornament, representing the story. You can purchase ornaments, there are sites to download and cut out already made ones, we chose to come up with our own designs each day and glue them on our tree.

This is the site I used. The printables are on the bottom right side of the site. I use this as my what to read, and I also looked at their printable ornaments to get ideas to make our own. Jesse Tree

Here is a pic of what we have done so far.


I really suggest trying it, the kids are loving it and bringing in the true meaning of Christmas too!

5 comments:

rofkahr@gmail.com said...

When we went to St. Paul UMC we did this and my girls loved it. We need to do it again!

CFC Flames '04 said...

Very cool! I think we'll give this a try. Thanks Kelli.

Another Suburban Mom said...

This is an awesome idea. Thanks BBM

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Thanks for posting about this. I'm going to check it out!

Jennifer said...

We're doing a Jesse Tree for the first time this year, too, and we are loving it! We're using Ann Voskamp's "The Glorious Coming"...love, love her devotions with it!

We're actually doing a Jesse Tree notebook, because we didn't have a place to do an actual tree or wall tree this year...next year, hopefully. :) We got started late, so we're doubling up days right now, but hopefully once we have a few more days completed, I'll get some pics and post.

Yours looks great!!